Monday 23 April 2012

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week Day One - Colour Lovers

I'm so excited to be taking part in Knitting and Crochet Blog week again this year. I'm just a bit cross that the house move timing has meant I've had less time than I really wanted to prepare for it. I'm hoping I can still do full justice to the suggested post topics, but I'll let you all be the judge of that!

For more information about Knitting and Crochet Blog week, head on over to Eskimimimakes.com to read all about it. To find more of today's posts, search the internet for 3KCBWDAY1.

Colour Lovers

Today we are posting about our love of colour. It comes as no surprise that practitioners of the fibre arts are lovers of colour. The right or wrong colour choice can make or break a project. And it is oh so easy to get stuck in a colour rut. We all have favourite colours that we reach for even without thinking.

To demonstrate, I have made a chart (lets face it, knitters are massive geeks).


I looked at everything I've made (just things that you wear, so scarves, hats, gloves, clothing) and it's pretty obvious where my colour sympathies lie!

A selection of my purple/pink projects

I really have to push myself to choose something other than purple. It's been my favourite colour for years. When I was a kid, and was given free reign to decorate my bedroom in whatever colour scheme I chose, I opted for two different shades of purple on the walls and a pink ceiling!

However, more recently I have been branching out. My sole yarn purchase at Unravel was a Zauberball for a Lazy Katy shawl, and I think I surprised everyone by choosing blue.


I surprised myself when I finally allowed myself to order some Candy Skein for myself. The other skeins I'd bought for prizes/swap parcels were in shades of purple, but for myself I selected two different blues.


Alright, I know blue isn't exactly too far a leap away from purple, but it's a start!

Of course, I'll really be breaking the purple cycle when I finally cast on my second skein of Wollmeise. I think I've finally settled on a pattern (this one).

Wollmeise 20:20 Twin in colourway Sonne

I think part of the reason I've gone for Momijigari is because the sample on the pattern page is knit in similar colours. I have a real hard time visualising how the colours in a skein of variegated yarn will knit up, and having trawled the project page for Wollmeise in Sonne no end of times I think it will look alright as this shawl.

Photo copyright Beth Kling, used with permission
As I have a lot of black in my wardrobe I am sure it will look fabulous in bright yellow and orange!

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh, excellent choice for your Wollmeise, it's gonna look awesome :) I've recently noticed an increase in the level of purple yarn in my stash - once I'm over my grey phase I might well join you in the purple fan club ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah purple! I looked in my wardrobe last night thinking about this post and found I have a surprising amount of purple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have a love of purple.........but not so many FOs (or even WIPs) with purple. Lots of green :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. .. wow, that orange! I love blue myself, just check out my post for day 1, but I would love a shawl in that colour! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of purple too :O).

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little Bit Sheepish24 April 2012 at 07:48

    I tend to get stuck in colour ruts too, although oddly they tend to be red and blue, even though like you my favourite is purple. In fact, I can't think of much I have knitted in purple! Beautiful yarns, I am looking forward to seeing the Wollmeise knitted up, you have chosen a great pattern

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...